On this page you will find advice and guidance on how to use the various features of Grow-a-Group. Each point includes a short video illustrating the process.
If you have any questions, please submit a message using the Contact link at the bottom of the page.
Why you should register for Grow-a-Group
Registering on the platform will allow you to make the most of the features. When you create a profile for yourself and your organisation, you can apply for offers and requests as well as posting your own. Without registering, you can only ever browse through the search page, but you can’t apply.
- To create an account, click on the ‘Sign Up’ button at the top of the home page.
- Enter your email address and password for your account. Your password must be 6 characters or more.
- Click the ‘Complete Sign Up’ button to finish your registration.
- To get started, click on ‘Log In’ at the top of the page. Enter your email address and password and click the button below.
Step 1. Complete your profile
When you have registered, it is a good idea to add a profile picture or choose an avatar. This can make you more recognisable by fellow members of your group or users from other organisations.
- New notifications are shown on the status bar at the top of the page. When you first log in you will see a new notification, advising you to ‘Upload a profile image’.
- Click on the notification to go to your profile page.
- Click on ‘Select Image’ to choose an avatar.
- Or you can use your own image, using the ‘Upload a New Image’ button at the top of the list.
- You can also visit your profile from any page, by clicking your avatar on the status bar and selecting ‘My Profile’. You can also change all your profile details at any time.
Step 2. Create an organisation
Grow-a-Group was designed to help groups rather than individuals, so creating an organisation is essential if you want to post offers and requests or respond to applications. You will not be able to access the full functionality of Grow-a-Group without creating a group.
- When you first log in you will see a new notification, advising you to ‘Create an Organisation’. Click on it to go to the ‘Create Organisation’ page.
- Fill in the form in as much details as possible. Don’t forget to include your location. You can fine-tune your location on the map by dragging the pin.
- Click ‘Submit’ to finish.
You can create an organisation at any time by clicking your avatar on the status bar and selecting ‘My Profile’. Click on ‘Join or Create Organisation’ and fill in the form as outlined above or join an existing organisation by typing a keyword into the search bar.
Create a request
If there is a specific resource you’re looking for which would benefit your organisation’s activity, you can post a Request for it. Explain exactly what you are looking for and why you need it. Choose a distinct image to illustrate your request.
- From your profile page, choose the organisation you would like to create a request with. If you do not have any organisations available, create one.
- The admin bar shows a number of actions available to group administrators - click on ‘Create Request’.
- Fill in the form in as much details as possible. Upload an image of the resource you’re looking for.
- Click ‘Submit’. The request will now appear on the Search page.
Create an offer
If you have a resource which you would like to share with others, you can Create an Offer, describing what it is and how it can be useful. Include an image of your resource to make it easier for other users to find what they need.
- Go to your profile page clicking your avatar on the status bar and selecting ‘My Profile’.
- Choose the organisation you would like to create an offer with. If you do not have any organisations available, create one.
- The admin bar shows a number of actions available to group administrators - click on ‘Create Offer’.
- Fill in the details of your resource offer, including the expiry date and image.
- Click ‘Submit’. The offer will now appear on the Search page.
Apply for an offer / resource
Have a browse through the resources on offer. When you find something that is of interest to your organisation, you should submit an application and explain why your group should be the one to receive it. You can only apply if you have created an organisation.
- From the search page, choose the offer you would like to apply for. Click to go to the application page.
- Fill in the application by briefly explaining why you should get the resource and how you would use it.
- Click ‘Apply now’ to submit the application. If there is anything you would like to add after submitting, there is an ‘Edit’ button on this page too. Additionally you can also click on ‘View’ and post a comment in the Comments section below the application.
- The process is exactly the same when applying for requests.
Accept an application
You will receive a new notification whenever an organisation responds to your offer or request, posts a story or a comment. Notifications can be seen in the top right corner, with a bell icon flashing green.
- Click on the notification to go the ‘Pending Application’ page, where you can review it and respond. Alternatively, you can access this page by clicking your avatar and ‘My Profile’. Click on the appropriate offer or request which has received an application.
- At the bottom of the application box, there are buttons to ‘Approve’ or ‘Reject’.
- You will see a pop-up box asking you to confirm. If the resource if meant for a single organisation, it is best to close the offer after you have accepted an application. Otherwise, you might continue receiving applications.
- You can also leave a comment on this page, which will only be seen by the applicant. To write one, scroll down where you will see a comments box. Fill it in and click ‘Submit’.
Request a story
Once you accept an application, you form a connection with another organisation. The next step is to post a story about the positive experience. If a group is taking a little too long to submit a connection story, you can request it.
- Click on ‘My Profile’ and choose your organisation involved in the exchange.
- The third column on the page lists your connections. Select the one you are looking for.
- Click the ‘Request a Story’ button. You can include a comment, or send the request without one.
- Alternatively, you can also add a story yourself. Click on the ‘Add a Story’ button next to ‘Request a Story’.